Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Fess Up Monday!

Did you write? Did you sell? How many words? Tell, tell tell!

The Global Existential Threat Level remains at GUARDED.


Okay, more like Fess Up Monday on Tuesday. I'm blaming the time change.

Today's question: Have you ever returned a book because it did not satisfy?

Personally, I think the practice of unhappy readers returning books is, to say the least, odd. Especially if the reason is because the ending wasn't happy, or, even more strange, the book featured people outside your ethnic group (as noted on Karen Scott's blog, comments section.)

I wonder if this is a practice for romance readers only, or if unsatisfied science fiction or mystery fans demand their money back for the offending book? Presumably the fan read the book, because otherwise how could they know the story didn't make them happy?

Do you ask for your money back because the wine doesn't have the smooth finish you expected? Do you ask for your money back because the pizza gives you gas? I've read some books so unsatisfying I felt I should be able to sue the author for damages afterwards, but come on.

This world. It disenchants me on ocassion. How about you?

5 comments:

Joyce Ellen Armond said...

Just 3700 words this week, but wow I had to sweat blood for every single one of them. And if I counted the words I wrote then threw out and rewrote, it probably would be a banner week. But, I re-read the material today and it seems to be worth the effort. And, that's the end of the middle woo hoo!

Had a pretty major author psychosis freak out. You know, we all have those vulnerable points in our psyche about acceptance, success, being good enough, etc., that now and again are tripped by our writing. (Or maybe it's just me.) Either way, with the kind and thoughtful guidance of a friend, I'm feeling better now.

Have put tentacle in love story on hold for now, as I decide what to do with it.

All in all, a pretty stressful week. I bet my Personal Existential Threat level went much higher than guarded a few times.

veinglory said...

How bizarre on the retunring thing. I mean if it had words and pages, it was a book. That's what you pay for -- the rest is buyer beware.

Don't think I wrote anything, EPICon week and all. Back to 1000 a day from... um, tomorrow.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I have gotten my money back on bad food but never books, movies, cds or anything of that ilk -- not when the "issue" with the item was that I personally detested it.

I wrote some. Dunno how much. I am scared to keep a tally.

Anonymous said...

Good week, did almost 6K despite spending most of the weekend at a science fiction convention. I'm now into the last 1/3 of the WIP, the part where I'm on the downhill roll.

Also working on edits on another project I'm getting ready to submit, a requested complete.

As for returning a book...the only time I've done that was once when I got a book that was missing a chunk of pages. It skipped from page 202 to page 268 or something like that. Otherwise, if it's really bad I chuck the book in the trash can and chalk it up to experience. It it's okay but not a keeper it goes to the UBS or in the Goodwill bag.

veinglory said...

neeeeed more blog posts

[whimper]